Friends of Cancer Research (Friends) is seeking a Public Affairs Associate to be a part of our fast-paced
public affairs team.
Friends is working to accelerate policy change, support groundbreaking science, and deliver new
therapies to patients quickly and safely. We drive collaboration among partners from every healthcare
sector to power advances in science, policy, and regulation. We are uniting scientists, pharmaceutical
companies, and policy makers with shared trust and guiding them toward meaningful cooperation.
The Public Affairs team is seeking a Public Affairs Associate ready to help support its communications,
public affairs, and advocacy work. The ideal candidate will be a motivated self-starter that can
collaborate effectively within a small but nimble organization. Friends offers a competitive benefits
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Although not required, the ideal candidate will have experience around overall duties, which may
- Creation of and editing various materials including, but not limited to: press releases, op-eds,
video scripts, social media posts, press statements, talking points, and blog posts.
- Assist with the development of internal policy tracking systems.
- Assist with the creation and assembly of internal and external Public Affairs team presentations.
- Website content management.
- Assisting with data projects.
- 2+ years’ experience in communications or a related field.
- Bachelor’s degree from a publicly accredited college or university.
- This job is an in-person opportunity in Washington, DC with a flexible environment for
The ideal candidate will have some or all of the following qualifications and/or experience:
- High quality writing and editing skills; consistent attention to detail.
- Ability to work collaboratively and in a team setting.
- Experience monitoring media coverage and compiling daily news reports.
- Ability to maintain media lists.
- Experience with website editing.
This is a great opportunity for an intelligent, detail oriented, and motivated person to make an impact
on a growing non-profit organization and gain valuable experience in aspects of health and science
policy research, cancer advocacy, and federal government relations.
PR & Media:
- Assist with the drafting of various content, such as press releases and statements from Friends.
Coordinate with Vice President, Public Affairs and Manager, Public Affairs to develop reporter
tracking based on issue areas and topics.
- Compile, research, and send daily media monitoring reports (News Clips) internally to the
organization. Highlight and track news that mentions, quotes, or features the organization.
- Create and compile a bimonthly news analysis report highlighting news trends in our space and
Friends publication highlights.
Public Affairs (Policy, Hill Engagement, Event Management, Meeting Management):
- Track and report on relevant policy developments and legislation for the organization.
- Maintain contact and key constituent information in tandem with critical legislation being
tracked by Friends.
- Cover relevant Congressional hearings for the organization, reporting back to staff.
- Assist Public Affairs team and other staff with event planning and logistics as needed.
Website & E-communications:
- Help manage organizational website(s), draft and upload content across issue areas and
projects, troubleshoot issues and communicate with external consultants when necessary.
- Help manage organizational e-communications including, but not limited to, digital marketing
via email and social media. Includes the drafting of potential emails, social media posts, content
calendars, and more.
- Assist with development of organizational tracking of public affairs campaigns, measuring
- Help Manager, Public Affairs in support of the ProgressForPatients.org Advocacy Education
- Assist in development of related materials, troubleshoot issues with course, help track and
compile opportunities for patient advocates.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Friends of Cancer Research does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion
(creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual
orientation, or military status, in any of its activities of operations.
To apply: Please send your resume only to email@example.com with “Public Affairs Associate” included in the
subject line. No phone calls please.